Friday, August 5, 2011

Rituals

Something they needed to do first? Carbon’s statement swirled around his mind for a moment before he got it, grinning as he set his hands on her hips and pulled her close. “I’m game, if you’re ready.”

She nodded and leaned against him, closing her eyes as she whispered into his ear. “I believe I am.”

Alex smiled and slid his hands up her sides, still surprised at how hot her body was. He wasn’t sure what had changed, but he didn’t feel awkward or weird about it. He wouldn’t exactly say it was natural, but it felt much more possible this time. That was a pleasant surprise.

Carbon exhaled sharply on his neck, a happy noise escaping her as Alex gave her a little squeeze. She steadied herself, hands tight on his arms as she leaned down, taking a shaky breath before she sank her teeth into his shoulder.

Some part of Alex recognized that trying to wrench his shoulder out of her mouth would not work out well. He was pretty sure those pointy little teeth would just shred it. Instead, he sucked in a breath and gripped her flanks a little tighter, jaw tight against the growing pain.

Her eye opened and she looked at him like she expected him to do something.

“Why are you biting me?” Alex hissed, eyes bulging.

She finally released his shoulder with a wet pop, teeth pink with his blood. “It is the final act of becoming entwined.”

Alex gently probed the narrow u-shaped bite mark as it started to bleed. “What? that’s- Can you get me a towel?”

She grumbled and pushed off of him, rummaging through a chest of drawers next to the bed. “Were you not prepared?”

“No! Not for that... fuck this hurts.” He had stopped poking at his injury and stood to keep from bleeding on the bed. “I thought we were going to try, you know....”

Carbon raised an eyebrow, not looking up from the drawer. “I think it is quite apparent I do not.”

“I thought you were intimating you were interested in having sex.”

“Perhaps I was...” She slid the drawer closed hard and gave him a dark look, gesturing towards the stools at the table. “Come, sit.”

His first instinct was to defend his actions and be mad at her for not making it clear what was going on. He was a guy, after all, of course he was easily steered towards sex. He also wasn’t that stupid. He shrugged and winced, taking a seat in front of her. “I wasn’t aware of this... marking thing.”

“Neya said you had been reading about our ways.” She unscrewed the top of a large jar and scooped a finger of thick blue goo out, eliciting another wince as she slathered it over his wound.

“No, I had been reading about historical stuff. Weekly records of the First Age emperors. Made it all the way through the Zherar dynasty. No actual practical knowledge.” The goo stung at first, but quickly settled to an almost pleasant tingle.

Carbon clicked her tongue and shook her head as she circled him, dabbing goo onto the back of his shoulder. “She gave you the logs? Those have no useful information.”

He got the impression he may have gotten Neya into some trouble with that. “To be fair, Eleya was the one who gave them to her. I learned a swear word, too. That’s useful.”

She stopped, mid-smear. “Eleya gave them to her? Really?”

“Yes. She made her use formal titles on me, too. I didn’t like that.”

“Curious...” Carbon continued applying the salve, “perhaps she really is grooming you to be active within the royal family. It certainly would cause a stir.”

“I can only imagine.”

Carbon made an affirmative noise and picked up a towel, wiping his back and chest dry. “I do not understand why, though.”

“She said she likes my naivete. I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or not.”

That almost got a laugh out of her, a smile in her voice. “It can be endearing, from time to time. How is you shoulder now?”

“Better.” Alex touched the goo, already hardened into a thick protective layer. “So do you want me to try doing that to you now?”

“Yes.” She put the jar away and tossed the towel into the cleaner before seating herself back on the bed. “I do not know how successful you will be, but it is necessary for you to do it.”

“Uh... I was kind of kidding there. I don’t-”

She gave him a particularly pointed look and patted the bed next to her before she began to take her shirt off, actually a long strip of cloth that had been wrapped around her. “It is your obligation, Alex. Unless you do not wish to be entwined?”

“Is this a regular part of being entwined? The biting? Is there any other violence I should know about?” He had started to wonder if this was actually something he wanted to be a part of or not.

Carbon shook her head, “just one bite to seal our commitment. No more beyond that.”

“Alright. Let’s do this.” What’s the worst that could happen? He sat down next to her, held her arms like she had held his and leaned in. Jaws opened wide, he set his teeth down on her shoulder and gave it a tenative squeeze.

“Harder.” She rested her chin on his shoulder. “It is to share in each others pain, to share the essence of our life, not to placate me.”

He didn’t exactly relish the idea, but he gave her what she wanted. His jaw tightened and he felt muscles flex as she flinched. Much to his surprise, his teeth did manage to puncture her skin. He gagged on the coppery taste of her blood, tongue trying to withdraw from his mouth to avoid it.

A moment later she patted his side and whispered through clenched teeth. “That is enough.”

Alex let go and sucked in a breath of air. “Good enough?”

“Much more... nh, capable than I expected. Get the salve, in the top drawer.”

He retrieved the jar of goo and dabbed it on to her wounds, a series of shallow punctures from his canine teeth. “There. Not as complete as the one you gave me, though.”

“That is fine. I would prefer it be unique.” She smiled and plucked the jar from his hands, setting it down on the ground. “As you are unique to me.”

“I suppose I am.” Alex shifted further onto the bed and stretched out, closing his eyes. “We’re quite the pioneers, aren’t we?”

“It seems that we are.” She snuggled down next to him, threading an arm around his and holding him tightly. “I think I like that.”

“Good.” He was glad to hear the strength in her voice again, the Carbon he knew returning. “I’m hard to get rid of.”

“You are very tenacious.” She laughed and kissed his arm. “I cannot believe you made it all the way to Zherar in the log books.”

“Seemed important at the time.” Alex rubbed his eyes, the invigorating shock of having been bitten starting to wear off.

“They used to make me read those when I misbehaved. There is very little useful information in there, but all royals are expected to have read them.”

“Great. At least it’ll help with my cussing.”

“Oh yes, which word did you find?” She grinned widely and squeezed his arm again.

“Khaeva. Neya said it was vulgar.”

“Not quite vulgar... too negative. Mmh, risqué or salacious might be a better way to put it.”

“What’s it mean?”

Carbon didn’t say anything, though it was felt like she was thinking. She shut the lights off with a word and Alex could hear the smirk when she spoke. “I think you will be best enlightened if I show you myself.”

2 comments:

  1. I had a nice comment, that failed to post. Grrr.

    Nice job again. You foreshadow very well, so even though I knew biting would come into play, I was hoping for another form of consummation ;) I think Alex isn't the only one getting frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that seems to happen a lot. I still maintain that a company the size of Google shouldn't have problems like that with their products...

    Thank you, I try to make sure that things that happen or that are described actually go somewhere. As much as I like to torment poor Alex, I don't want him to be miserable all the time.

    ReplyDelete